Auto Accidents FAQ

When should you hire an attorney for a car accident?

If you have been injured in a car accident, you need to make sure someone is protecting your rights.  You need someone who is going to make sure your injuries are receiving the treatment they need to heal.  If an insurance company is not listening to your story, you need an attorney who will make sure you are heard.  The insurance companies will not look out for your rights, but the lawyers at Aversa & Linn will make sure your rights are protected.

Contact Aversa & Linn to learn more about how we can protect your rights after a car accident.

How much do you get for pain and suffering in a car accident?

If you are injured in a car accident you may be able to recover compensation for pain and suffering, however, each case is unique and must be evaluated individually. Factors such as age, injury, treatment, and prior medical history may impact the value of your claim.

If you have suffered an injury as a result of a car accident, contact Aversa & Linn for help in evaluating your case.

What is full tort vs. limited tort insurance coverage in Pennsylvania?

When purchasing auto insurance in Pennsylvania you have a choice:  you can select the Limited Tort option or the Full Tort option. Choosing the Limited Tort option results in a cheaper premium, but it may prevent you from recovering any money after a car accident, even if you are injured.

With Limited Tort coverage, you will not be able to make a claim for non-economic damages (i.e. pain & suffering or loss of life’s pleasures) unless you suffer a “serious impairment of a body function,” or one of several limited exceptions. Your choice of coverage impacts you, as well as any family members residing in your household.

If you choose Full Tort, you will be able to make a claim for non-economic damages as soon as you are injured in a car accident.

Contact Aversa & Linn for help in evaluating your case.

What if I was involved in an Uber or Lyft accident?

If you have been involved in a car accident while riding in an Uber or Lyft vehicle, how you recover damages for injuries depends on several factors, including if the driver was off-duty, if they had accepted a ride, or were logged-on to the app but hadn’t yet accepted a ride.

Aversa & Linn can investigate your accident and advise you what options you may have after an Uber or Lyft accident.

What if I have been injured by a drunk driver?

In Pennsylvania, people injured by a convicted drunk driver are often entitled to compensation for pain, suffering, lost wages, and medical bills.  In addition, a victim of a drunk driving accident may seek punitive damages.  Finally, it is important to investigate who was responsible for the driver’s inebriated state.  Bars and restaurants are responsible for the actions of patrons they knowingly overserve.

Aversa & Linn can investigate your accident and make sure all of the negligent parties are held responsible for the harms caused to you and your family.

What is distracted driving?

According to the U.S. Department of Transportation, distracted driving is any activity that diverts attention from driving, including talking or texting on a phone, eating and drinking, and fiddling with the stereo.  Too often we see drivers who pay more attention to their devices than they do to the road.  Unless drivers are held responsible for these negligent behaviors, then nothing will change.

If you or a family member have been injured by a distracted driver, contact Aversa & Linn.

What if a family member was killed in an auto accident?

If a person’s death occurs as the result of negligent, reckless, or violent behavior of another individual, the survivors of the deceased person may be able to bring a wrongful death claim.

If your loved one died in a car accident, Aversa & Linn can evaluate the particular circumstances and help you decide whether or not to bring a wrongful death claim.

When should I go to the hospital following a vehicle accident?

After a car accident, if you believe you are injured, seek immediate medical attention. If you don’t feel hurt at the time of the accident, but become aware of an injury later, contact your doctor as soon as possible. Not all injuries are immediately apparent, but it is very important to have a thorough medical examination as soon as you become aware of the injury.

Do I have to talk to the other driver’s insurance company?

We recommend that you speak to an experienced car accident lawyer before speaking to your own or the other driver’s insurance company. Any statements you make to insurance companies could be used against you in the future.

What if my airbag did not deploy?

If you were in a car accident and your airbags didn’t deploy properly (or at all), you may be able to seek legal action against the airbag manufacturer, the car manufacturer, or another party.

Contact Aversa & Linn for help in evaluating your options if your airbag did not properly deploy.

Do I need to call the police after an accident?

If a car accident results in death, injury or severe damage to any vehicle, Pennsylvania law requires that you immediately call the police.

If there is no injury or serious property damage, or the police are called and do not come in a timely manner, then make sure to get the other driver’s insurance information along with their name, number and address.

What is meant by a “no-fault” state?

In Pennsylvania, after most traffic accidents, the injured person’s own insurance company will pay for medical expenses and lost income, regardless of who was at fault for the accident.

However, that does not absolve the at-fault driver of responsibility for the harm they caused you or your family.

Contact Aversa & Linn for more information about holding the at-fault driver responsible for your injuries.

Who pays my medical bills?

Because Pennsylvania is a no-fault state, your own insurance will pay an amount set forth in your policy (generally $5,000 in Pennsylvania) for medical bills associated with your medical treatment.  However, because this coverage is limited, it may not cover all of the medical bills for treatment you received as a result of the accident. Aversa & Linn’s experienced attorneys can identify who is responsible for paying every medical bill in your case. Contact us today so we can assist you in making sure that the bills for the treatment you need are paid.

What do I do if the at-fault driver leaves the scene before I receive his/her information?

It is illegal in Pennsylvania to leave the scene of an accident where any property damage or bodily injury occurred. If you are in an accident, and the other party leaves the scene, try to get their license plate number, and call 911.

What if the at-fault driver does not have “enough” insurance?

If the at-fault driver does not have enough insurance, you can file a claim to recover with your own insurance company if you have uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage.

It also may be possible to file a lawsuit against the driver or any other party who contributed to the accident.

An attorney can investigate your accident and identify anyone who might be liable.

Contact Aversa & Linn for assistance in evaluating your claim.