“Most important to me in any case is stepping into the clients’ shoes, feeling their pain, learning their fears. Only then can you get on with the business of lawyering.”
John is, in many ways, home again. Once a client of Aversa & Linn, and once an adversary in litigation, John now brings his highest of ethical standards, passion for the law, empathy for his clients and logic-based solutions to Aversa & Linn as a lawyer.
“The best way to learn about a firm and its staff is to litigate a case with it. I could not have been more impressed with the quality of Aversa & Linn’s legal work and its high level of preparation. But the practice of law is more than that, should be more than that. Aversa & Linn treated everyone – Plaintiff, defendant, witness, court reporter, court staff, lawyer, mediator – with kindness and respect. So when the opportunity arose to become part of the team, the decision was an easy one.”
John began his career representing persons injured in car accidents, slip and fall accidents and as the result of medical negligence, primarily in Bucks County. He then moved to insurance defense work, spending most of the next 18 years working for insurance companies themselves.
“Working for an insurance company provides meaningful practical insight into how claims examiners reserve and evaluate cases. Learning what ‘moves the needle’ in terms of valuation of claims and the drive toward settlement is an invaluable tool when representing our clients.”
Despite significant success as a defense litigation attorney, John found something missing. So he walked away from the industry and opened his own firm, representing clients with a myriad of problems, particularly claims involving consumer protection related issues in real estate and clients who suffered significant head trauma and post-concussion disorders in automobile, trucking and other accidents.
“I grew up in a tight neighborhood in Northeast Philly. Handling the injury case, handling cases related to the Pennsylvania Unfair Trade Practices Act and Consumer Protection Law, handling cases related to the Home Improvement Consumer Protection Act, handling cases for our veterans…this is what fulfills me and brings me joy in what I do. Helping people get back on their feet. Giving people hope. Letting people know you have their back. Putting a hand out, grabbing on and saying I’ve got you. That is what we are here for. That is what we do for the people we represent.”
John now lives in the Northern Liberties section of the City with his family, four dogs and a turtle. And when not taking advantage of all the City has to offer, and when not golfing, he can sometimes be found in a small cabin in Sullivan County, enjoying a little bit of nature.
Landscaper bit by dangerous dog
Large recovery for a landscaper bit by a dog over a fence while trimming lawn of next door neighbor, leaving a significant scar.
Homeowners stuck with unfinished renovation project
Recovery for homeowner left with an unfinished project pursuant to the Home Improvement Consumer Protection Act and Unfair Trade Practices and Consumer Protection Law.
Family broad-sided after improper wave out through traffic
Significant recovery in a limited tort case after a family is broad-sided by a car improperly waved into oncoming traffic.
Employee injured while training
Representing an injured worker with significant traumatic brain injury after being rear-ended by another driver.
- Temple University School of Law, JD, 1995
- Co-Editor In Chief, Temple Political and Civil Rights Law Review
- La Salle University, B.A. Political Science and History 1992, magna cum laude
- Recipient of the James Finnegan Fellowship for Public Service
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court, Middle District of Pennsylvania
- Construction Accidents
- Workplace Accidents
- Vehicle Accidents
- Premises Liability (Slip and Fall)
- Products Liability
- Trucking and Commercial Vehicle Accidents
- Workers’ Compensation
- Dram Shop Negligence
- Wrongful Death
- Medical Malpractice
Prior Work Experience
Toz Law Group, LLC, Founder and President, 2017-2018
In June 2017, John opened his own law practice, handling a variety of plaintiff’s cases and defense cases. John handles all types of personal injury matters (auto, trip and fall, slip and fall), professional liability (medical malpractice and legal malpractice) and consumer protection matters (Home Improvement Consumer Protection Law, PA Unfair Trade Practices and Consumer Protection Law, PA and Federal Debt Collection Practices Act) as a Plaintiff’s attorney, and specializes in trucking litigation, products liability litigation, and auto/premises/commercial property litigation. John is also a certified mediator and private arbitrator.
Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company, Trial Attorney IV, 2015-2017
John handled a diverse caseload of Harleysville and Nationwide commercial lines cases, including commercial transportation, products liability, premises liability and other matters, from intake through trial, many of which are high exposure/large loss. John also created and presented timely CLE/CE presentations, including risk transfer and indemnification issues.
AIG, Senior Trial Attorney, 2004-2015
John handled a diverse caseload from pre-litigation through trial, including cases of professional liability, products liability, financial lines, home inspection, and commercial transportation, the large majority of which triggered exposures in excess of $1,000,000. John worked closely with the claims organization, particularly the complex claims department, to develop methods to identify, track and litigate high exposure cases in all lines of business. John was the National Lead for the Trucking Practice Group, leading a team of six attorneys in the creation of CLE programs, the writing of scholarly articles, and the marketing to and retention of potential and current trucking clients. John was also the point of contact and handling attorney for all Trucking, MIST (minor impact soft tissue), Environmental, Home Inspection, and Delaware Toll Authority cases. In addition to his litigation work, John provided training multiple times per year for claims examiners, underwriters, brokers, claims advisory boards and other groups on a variety of topics, including Tort Reform and Alternative Dispute Resolution. He helped develop and teach two Mediation Advocacy training programs for AIG Staff Counsel. John lectured to chapter meetings of American Society of Home Inspectors and to the National Association of Subrogation Professionals. He oversaw numerous AIG Staff Counsel projects, including litigation management, auditing and trial technology projects.
John spent nine years prior to his employment at Strachan & Hatzell working for insurance defense firms, staff counsel offices and plaintiff personal injury/medical malpractice firms as a trial attorney.
Publications & Events
- CLE Presentation, Auto Litigation from Start to Finish, (For NBI) Moderator, “Practical Ethics–From Cloud to Courtroom”, Charleston School of Law
- Guest Lecturer and Presenter, Mediation, James E. Beasley School of Law
- Guest Lecturer, Charleston School of Law, March 2014
- ABA TIPS Outreach – Panel on Employment – Chicago
- Co-Lecturer, “Negotiations for Transactional Attorneys”, Temple University
- NITA One Week Advanced Trial Advocacy Class, Boulder, CO
- Tort Reform 2013 and How Juries Think, PA CPCU Society
- TIPS Outreach – Roundtable – UMinn Law School
- CLE/CE Presentation, Tort Reform 2013 and How Juries Think
- TIPS Outreach – Careers in Insurance, W&L Law School
- TIPS Outreach – Careers in Insurance, GWU Law School
- CE Presentation, Underwriter Training
- CE Presentation, Alternative Dispute Resolution
- CLE/CE Presentation, Tort Reform 2012
- AIG Mediation Advocacy I and II (Course Planner, Presenter and Attendee)
- Preparing the Client/Claims Examiner for Mediation, ADR Committee Newsletter Summer ’12 Letter to the Editor, Pennsylvania Lawyer, March/April 2012
- Nationwide Trial School (1998/99)
- American Bar Fellow
- Delaware County Bar Association
- Delaware County Inn of Court (membership pending)
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Association for Justice
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- ADR Committee Legislative Committee Vice-Chair
- ADR Committee Newsletter Editorial Board
- Member, Solo and Small Firm Section
- Member, Veterans Affairs Committee